Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The 21st Amendment- Boston, MA

Exterior of the 21st Amendment-- you can just tell how old this place is! (Google Images)

The 21st Amendment is a fantastic restaurant/bar in the Beacon Hill area, right next to the State House. I stumbled upon 21st Amendment after a recommendation from a Redditor for places to dine alone in Boston, and headed over there for the first time after the Pride Parade (early June).


Interior of 21st Amendment (Google Images)

 The building dates back to 1899, and you can certainly feel the history. I like that it is old without feeling dirty or run down at all; the interior is constructed of dark wood, decorated with vintage posters, and features soft lighting and exposed brick. The bar area and small window area with barstools are very comfortable for the solo diner.

The space was full of people, but there was still room at the bar. I ordered a Whale's Tail Pale Ale (one of my favorites during my time in Boston) and the 21st Burger. The ladies tending bar were very sweet, and chit chatted with me a bit.

The 21st Burger-- ONION RINGS! (Google Images)

The 21st Burger was outstanding. The onion rings are fantastic, and the waitstaff kindly brings an extra plate for easier eating... because the burger is actually so massive, you cannot feasibly fit your mouth around the thing without taking a few of the onion rings off. I had mine with sweet potato fries, which are some of my favorite sweet potato fries of all time. They are sweet and salty, perfectly done.

During my other trips to 21st, I also enjoyed the Southwest Grilled BBQ Chicken Salad. I am a sucker for a good southwestern salad, and this one fit the bill. I really enjoyed the tortilla strips on top for some extra crunch. The veggies all tasted fresh, and the dressing was tangy and delicious. I could have gone with a little less dressing, but that can easily be avoided by ordering dressing on the side.

I spent the afternoon of the 4th of July at 21st Amendment drinking with some regulars, and had a great time. It was one of the only times I had in Boston where I felt at home; the people were friendly, the food was great, and the atmosphere was social and outgoing. For a lot of my time in Boston, I felt people were quite a bit more reserved than those who I know back in CO. The atmosphere of the 21st is so welcoming, friendly, and comfortable. I highly recommend it.

The 21st Amendment is located at:


150 Bowdoin Street  Boston, MA 02108(617) 227-7100 
21stBoston.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment